YUDE-TSVI YEVZEROV (1854-April 16, 1935)
He was born in Amtshislov (Mstislavl), Byelorussia. For a time he was rabbi in Khaslavitsh (Khaslavich), before traveling through Russia giving sermons on Ḥibat-tsiyon (Love of Zion). He was the founder of various Zionist groups and a member of the Odessa Council (of the Lovers of Zion). He published articles in: Tsederboym’s Yudishes folks-blat (Jewish people’s newspaper) (St. Petersburg, 1881-1888); Sholem-Aleykhem’s Di yudishe folks-biblyotek (The Jewish people’s library), vols. 1 and 2 (Kiev, 1888-1889); as well as in Hamelits (The advocate), Hatsfira (The times), and Yatskan’s Yudishes (idishes) tageblat (Jewish daily newspaper) and Haynt (Today) in Warsaw. In 1922 he moved to Israel and until his death gave sermons in the great synagogue in Tel Aviv. He died in Tel Aviv.
Sources: A-R (Malachi), in Hadoar (New York) (May 22, 1935); D. Tidhar, in Entsiklopedyah leḥalutse hayishuv uvonav (Encyclopedia of the pioneers and builders of the yishuv), vol. 5 (Tel Aviv, 1952), p. 2359; N. B. Y., in Entsiklopediya shel hatsiyonut hadatit (Encyclopedia of religious Zionism), vol. 2 (Jerusalem, 1960), pp. 465-67.
Khayim Leyb Fuks