OSHER-ARYE GOLDIN (LEON GOLDIN) (May 11, 1892-April 18, 1966)
He was born in Turov (Turaŭ), Polyesye. He was the son of Ayzik-Ber Goldin, author of the religious work, Otiyot maḥkimot (Enlightening letters) (part 1, Pinsk, 1912). He studied in religious primary school and with a private teacher. At age fourteen he left his town for Feodosia, Crimea, and from there went to Kiev where he graduated from a secular high school as an external student. He supported himself by giving private lessons. For a short time he worked for the Hebrew writer Avraham Kahane, helping him translated Russian words and expressions for his Russian-Hebrew dictionary. He also translated short stories from Yiddish into Russian for a Jewish publishing house in Odessa. In 1910 he published in Had hazman (Echo of the times) in Vilna his first Hebrew-language story, and in Gut morgn (Good morning) in Odessa his first Yiddish-language story. He contributed to the two newspapers until 1913 when he emigrated to the United States. He settled in New York, continued his studies, and graduate with a medical degree from New York Medical College in 1921. He also continued his literary activities and published in Kol hamore (Voice of the teacher), Haynt (Today) in Warsaw (1913), Hadoar (The mail), Neyar (Paper), Oyfgang (Arise) (1923), Dovid Pinski’s Der idisher arbeter (The Jewish laborer) (1921-1926), Di feder (The pen) (1928-1932), Tsuzamen (Together) (1931), Unzer folk (Our people) (1932), Nyu Yorker vokhnblat (New York weekly newspaper) and Di idishe shtime (The Jewish voice) (1935), Shikago (Chicago) (1938-1939) and Kultur (Culture) in Chicago, Kama, and Harofe haivri (The Jewish doctor). Among his books: Refua (Medicine), part 1 (New York, 1924), part 2 (New York, 1927), together with Dr. M. A. Herbert and Dr. Osher Goldshteyn; Geven a tsayt (There was a time), stories (New York, 1930), 128 pp.; Mayn vort un klang (My word and sound), poetry (Warsaw, 1936), 96 pp.; Der talmid (The pupil), a drama (New York, 1941), 42 pp.; Kirkur hakilayon (The dance of ruination), a Hebrew poem (New York, 1943), 32 pp.; Milon refui angli-ivri (English-Hebrew medical dictionary) (New York, 1945). He was the literary editor of Harofe haivri (1936-1946) and editor of Gezunt-almanakh (Health almanac) (New York, 1945). He was a member of Tarbut in Kiev. In 1922 he was one of the founders of “Agudat rofim ivrim” (Association of Jewish doctors) in the United States. In 1924 he served as a delegate from Bnei Tsiyon (Sons of Zion) to the Zionist conference in Pittsburgh. He also wrote under the names Leon Goldin and Lev Borisov. He was living in New York.