ARYE-KHAYIM GOLDIN (1871-June 1, 1918)
He was born in Dvinsk (Daugavpils), Latvia, into a religious family. His father Mendl was a ritual slaughterer and circumciser. He studied in religious primary school and in a yeshiva. At the same time he studied secular subjects. Over the years 1885-1888, he was a student at the Volozhin Yeshiva. Over the years 1893-1900, he was living in the Lithuanian town of Dusiat (Dusetos), where he was active among the first “lovers of Zion” (early Zionists). In 1900 he came to Lodz, working as a merchant and later as a textile manufacturer. In the last years of his life, he worked as a teacher of Hebrew literature and Jewish history in the “Zionist school” in Lodz. He started publishing articles and translations from Russian and German in Hatsfira (The siren), Kol mevaser (The herald), and Lodzher tageblat (Lodz daily newspaper) in which he published (October-November 1916) “Zikhroynes vegn der volozhiner yeshive” (Memoirs of the Volozhin Yeshiva), which he subsequently translated into German and published in Der Israelit (The Israelite) (Frankfurt, November 1916). He died in Lodz.